print operating system name
uname utility writes symbols
representing one or more system characteristics to the standard output.
The options are as follows:
- Behave as though all of the options
- Print the machine hardware name.
- Print the nodename (the nodename may be a name that the system is known by to a communications network).
- Print the machine processor architecture name.
- Print the operating system release.
- Print the operating system name.
- Print the operating system version.
If no options are specified,
the operating system name as if the
-s option had
uname utility exits 0 on
success, and >0 if an error occurs.
hostname(1), machine(1), uname(3)
uname utility is compliant with the
IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (“POSIX.1”)
The flag [
-p] is an extension to that
uname command first appeared in
PWB/UNIX 1.0 and was reimplemented for 4.4BSD.