Conexant/Intersil PrismGT SoftMAC USB
IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network device
upgt* at uhub? port ?
upgt driver supports the USB 2.0
Conexant/Intersil PrismGT series wireless adapters based on the GW3887
These are the modes the
upgt driver can
- BSS mode
- Also known as infrastructure mode, this is used when associating with an access point, through which all traffic passes. This mode is the default.
- monitor mode
- In this mode the driver is able to receive packets without associating with an access point. This disables the internal receive filter and enables the card to capture packets from networks which it wouldn't normally have access to, or to scan for access points.
upgt driver can be configured to use
Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) or Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA-PSK and
WPA2-PSK). WPA is the current encryption standard for wireless networks. It
is strongly recommended that WEP not be used as the sole mechanism to secure
wireless communication, due to serious weaknesses in it. The
upgt driver relies on the software 802.11 stack for
both encryption and decryption of data frames.
upgt driver can be configured at
ifconfig(8) or on boot with
The driver needs a firmware file which is loaded when an interface is brought up:
A prepackaged version of the firmware can be installed using fw_update(1).
The following adapters should work:
- Belkin F5D7050 (version 1000)
- Cohiba Proto Board
- D-Link DWL-G120 Cohiba
- D-Link DWL-G122 rev A2
- FSC Connect2Air E-5400 USB D1700
- Gigaset USB Adapter 54
- Inventel UR045G
- IOGear GWU513
- Linksys WUSB54AG
- Linksys WUSB54G ver 2
- Medion MD40900
- Philips CPWUA054
- SMC EZ ConnectG SMC2862W-G
- Sagem XG703A
- Spinnaker DUT
- Spinnaker Proto Board
- Thomson SpeedTouch 121g
The following example scans for available networks:
# ifconfig upgt0 scan
The following hostname.if(5) example configures upgt0 to join network “mynwid”, using WPA key “mywpakey”, obtaining an IP address using DHCP:
nwid mynwid wpakey mywpakey dhcp
arp(4), ifmedia(4), intro(4), netintro(4), usb(4), hostname.if(5), ifconfig(8)
upgt driver first appeared in
upgt driver was written by
The hardware specification was reverse engineered by the people at http://www.prism54.org.
upgt driver just supports the USB 2.0
devices (GW3887 chipset) but not the USB 1.0 devices containing the NET2280,
ISL3880, and ISL3886 chipsets. Some further efforts would be necessary to
add USB 1.0 support to the driver.