7000/8000 IEEE 802.11a/ac/b/g/n wireless network devices
iwm* at pci?
driver provides support for Intel Wireless
7260, 7265, 3160, 3165, 3168, 8260, and 8265 PCIe Mini Card network adapters.
These are the modes the iwm
driver can operate in:
- BSS mode
- Also known as infrastructure
mode, this is used when associating with an access point, through which
all traffic passes.
driver can be configured to use Wired
Equivalent Privacy (WEP) or Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK). WPA
is the current encryption standard for wireless networks. It is strongly
recommended that WEP not be used as the sole mechanism to secure wireless
communication, due to serious weaknesses in it.
driver can be configured at runtime with
or on boot with
The driver needs one of the following firmware files, which are loaded when an
interface is brought up:
These firmware files are not free because Intel refuses to grant distribution
rights without contractual obligations. As a result, even though
includes the driver, the firmware files cannot
be included and users have to download these files on their own.
A prepackaged version of the firmware can be installed using
The following example scans for available networks:
# ifconfig iwm0 scan
The following hostname.if(5)
example configures iwm0 to join network “mynwid”, using WPA key
“mywpakey”, obtaining an IP address using DHCP:
- iwm0: device timeout
- A frame dispatched to the hardware for transmission did
not complete in time. The driver will reset the hardware. This should not
- iwm0: fatal firmware error
- For some reason, the firmware crashed. The driver will
reset the hardware. This should not happen.
- iwm0: radio is disabled by hardware
- The radio transmitter is off and thus no packet can go
out. The driver will reset the hardware. Make sure the laptop radio switch
- iwm0: could not read firmware ...
- For some reason, the driver was unable to read the
firmware image from the filesystem. The file might be missing or
- iwm0: firmware too short: N
- The firmware image is corrupted and can't be loaded into
- iwm0: could not load firmware
- An attempt to load the firmware into the adapter failed.
The driver will reset the hardware.
device driver first appeared in
driver does not support any of the 802.11ac
capabilities offered by the adapters. Support for 802.11n 40MHz channels and
Tx aggregation is not yet implemented. Additional work is required in
features can be supported.