convert compressed files to gzipped files
znew utility uncompresses files compressed by
compress(1) and recompresses them with
The options are as follows:
- Use the -9 mode of gzip(1), achieving
better compression at the cost of slower execution.
- Overwrite existing ‘.gz’ files. Unless this option is
znew refuses to overwrite existing
- Keep the original ‘.Z’ file if it uses less disk blocks than
the gzipped one. A disk block is 1024 bytes.
- Test integrity of the gzipped file before deleting the original file. If
the integrity check fails, the original ‘.Z’ file is not
- Print a report specifying the achieved compression ratios.
znew utility tries to maintain the file mode of the
original file. If the original file is not writable, it will be unable to do
znew will print a warning.