install non-free firmware packages
path] [driver ...]
fw_update utility installs, updates,
or deletes firmware packages for driver from the
Internet. If no driver is specified, the
fw_update utility tries to determine which firmware
is needed on the system.
Since firmware with an acceptable license is already present in
purely to deal with firmware that may not be freely distributed with
The options are as follows:
- Install or update firmware for all drivers. It is an error to specify this
option with any driver arguments.
- Delete firmware for driver. If used without
parameters, delete all firmware that is not required by a driver. If used
in conjunction with
-a, delete firmware for all
- Display information about firmware which is installed or missing, and
whether it appears to be required by a driver.
- Dry run. Do not actually install or update any firmware packages; just
report the steps that would be taken.
- Use the firmware found at package repository path,
being either a local directory or a URL, instead of the default
- Turn on verbose output. This flag can be specified multiple times for
Firmware is downloaded from release-specific directories at
The files are in the format required by
pkg_add(1), but direct use of pkg_add is