make entries in the system log
tag] [message ...]
utility provides a shell command interface to
system log module.
The options are as follows:
- If unable to pass the message to
syslogd(8), attempt to write the
message to the console.
- Read from the specified file.
- Log the process ID of the logger process with each line.
- Enter the message with the specified priority. The priority may be
specified numerically or as a “facility.level” pair. For
example, “-p local3.info” logs the message(s) as
informational level in the
local3 facility. The default is
- Log the message to standard error, as well as the system log.
- Mark every line in the log with the specified
- Write the message to log; if not specified, and the
-f flag is not provided, standard input is
logger utility exits 0 on success,
and >0 if an error occurs.
$ logger System rebooted
$ logger -p local0.notice -t HOSTIDM -f /dev/idmc
logger utility is compliant with the
IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (“POSIX.1”)
The flags [
-cfipst] are extensions to that