amdgpu - AMD RADEON GPU video driver
amdgpu is an Xorg driver for AMD RADEON-based video cards
with the following features:
- Support for 8-, 15-, 16-, 24- and 30-bit pixel depths;
- RandR support up to version 1.4;
- 3D acceleration;
The amdgpu driver supports SI and newer families' video
Please refer to xorg.conf(5) for general configuration details.
This section only covers configuration details specific to this driver.
The following driver Options are supported:
- Option "SWcursor" "boolean"
- Selects software cursor. The default is off.
- Option "Accel" "boolean"
- Enables or disables all hardware acceleration.
The default is on.
- Option "ZaphodHeads"
- Specify the RandR output(s) to use with zaphod mode for a particular
driver instance. If you use this option you must use this option for all
instances of the driver.
For example: Option "ZaphodHeads" "LVDS,VGA-0"
will assign xrandr outputs LVDS and VGA-0 to this instance of the
- Option "DRI" "integer"
- Define the maximum level of DRI to enable. Valid values are 2 for DRI2 or
3 for DRI3. The default is 3 for DRI3 if the Xorg version is >=
1.18.3, otherwise 2 for DRI2.
- Option "EnablePageFlip"
- Enable DRI2 page flipping. The default is on.
- Option "TearFree" "boolean"
- Set the default value of the per-output 'TearFree' property, which
controls tearing prevention using the hardware page flipping mechanism.
TearFree is on for any CRTC associated with one or more outputs with
TearFree on. Two separate scanout buffers need to be allocated for each
CRTC with TearFree on. If this option is set, the default value of the
property is 'on' or 'off' accordingly. If this option isn't set, the
default value of the property is auto, which means that TearFree is
on for rotated outputs, outputs with RandR transforms applied and for
RandR 1.4 slave outputs, otherwise off.
- Option "VariableRefresh"
- Enables support for enabling variable refresh on the Screen's CRTCs when
an suitable application is flipping via the Present extension.
The default is off.
- Option "AccelMethod"
- Setting this option to none disables use of the glamor acceleration
architecture. In that case, all 2D rendering is done by the CPU, but 3D
and video hardware acceleration can still work. This is mainly useful for
OpenGL driver bring-up.
The default is to use glamor.
The following driver Option is supported for glamor
- Option "ShadowPrimary"
- This option enables a so-called "shadow primary" buffer for fast
CPU access to pixel data, and separate scanout buffers for each display
controller (CRTC). This may improve performance for some 2D workloads,
potentially at the expense of other (e.g. 3D, video) workloads. Note in
particular that enabling this option currently disables page flipping. The
default is off.
Xorg(1), xorg.conf(5), Xserver(1), X(7)
- Wiki page:
- Overview about amdgpu development code:
- Mailing list:
- IRC channel:
#radeon on irc.freenode.net
- Query the bugtracker for amdgpu bugs:
- Submit bugs & patches:
Michel Dänzer email@example.com
Alex Deucher firstname.lastname@example.org