install non-free firmware
fw_update utility installs, updates,
or deletes firmware packages for driver from the
Internet. If no driver is specified, the
fw_update utility tries to determine which firmware
is needed on the system.
Since firmware with an acceptable license is already present in
purely to deal with firmware that may not be freely distributed with
The options are as follows:
- Install or update firmware for all drivers. It is an error to specify this
option with any driver arguments. This is enabled by
default unless drivers, files or
- Delete firmware for driver. If used without
parameters, delete all firmware that is not required by a driver. If used
in conjunction with
-a, delete firmware for all drivers.
- Download firmware only. By default downloads to the current directory.
Specifying a URL with
-pdownloads from that URL, specifying a path downloads to that directory.
- Dry run. Do not actually install or update any firmware packages; just report the steps that would be taken.
- Use the firmware found at package repository path, being either a local directory or a URL, instead of the default location.
- Turn on verbose output. This flag can be specified multiple times for increased verbosity.
Firmware is downloaded from release-specific directories at http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/. The files are in the format required by pkg_add(1), but direct use of pkg_add is discouraged.
- The root of the system to install into.
- A list of patterns used to detect needed firmware from the dmesg(8).
- Used with signify(1) to verify downloaded firmware files.
fw_update program was designed by
it was then replaced with a perl version by Marc
It was rewritten to be able to be run from the installer by
Andrew Hewus Fresh