control the inheritance of
*addr, size_t len,
system call changes the specified pages to have the inheritance
characteristic inherit. A page's inheritance
characteristic controls how it will be mapped in child processes as created
The possible inheritance characteristics are:
- Pages are not mapped in the child process.
- Private copy of pages are mapped in the child process.
- Mapped pages are shared between the parent and child processes.
- New anonymous pages (initialized to all zero bytes) are mapped in the child process.
Not all implementations will guarantee that the inheritance characteristic can be set on a page basis; the granularity of changes may be as large as an entire region.
Upon successful completion, the value 0 is returned; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error.
minherit() system call will fail
- The virtual address range specified by the addr and len arguments is not valid.
- The inherit argument is invalid.
madvise(2), mprotect(2), msync(2), munmap(2)
minherit() function first appeared in