update locate database
locate.updatedb updates the database used
by locate(1). It is typically run once a week by the
The contents of the newly built database can be controlled by the /etc/locate.rc file as well as the command line arguments.
The options are as follows:
- Output to an alternate database file instead of the default
-’ is specified in place of the file name, send the database to the standard output.
- A list of filesystem types to be traversed by find(1).
- Sets the list of parent directories that should not go in the database.
- Sets the list of directories to be put in the database.
- Sets the directory temporary files are stored in.
- configuration file
- default database
find(1), locate(1), weekly(8)
Woods, James A., Finding Files Fast, ;login, 8:1, pp. 8-10, 1983.