convert compressed files to gzipped files
utility uncompresses files compressed by
them with gzip(1)
The options are as follows:
- Use the -9 mode of gzip(1),
achieving better compression at the cost of slower execution.
- Overwrite existing ‘.gz’ files. Unless this option is
znew refuses to overwrite existing
- Keep the original ‘.Z’ file if it uses less disk blocks than
the gzipped one. A disk block is 1024 bytes.
- Test integrity of the gzipped file before deleting the original file. If
the integrity check fails, the original ‘.Z’ file is not
- Print a report specifying the achieved compression ratios.
utility tries to maintain the file mode of the
original file. If the original file is not writable, it will be unable to do
will print a warning.