install non-free firmware packages
utility installs, updates, or deletes
firmware packages for driver
Internet. If no driver
is specified, the
utility tries to determine which
firmware is needed on the system.
Since firmware with an acceptable license is already present in
purely to deal with firmware that may not be freely distributed with
The options are as follows:
- Install or update firmware for all drivers. It is an error
to specify this option with any driver
- Delete firmware for
driver. If used without parameters,
delete all firmware that is not required by a driver. If used in
conjunction with -a, delete firmware for all
- Display information about firmware which is installed or
missing, and whether it appears to be required by a driver.
- Dry run. Do not actually install or update any firmware
packages; just report the steps that would be taken.
- Use the firmware found at
path, being either a local directory or a
URL, instead of the default location.
- Turn on verbose output. This flag can be specified multiple
times for increased verbosity.
Firmware is downloaded from release-specific directories at
The files are in the format required by
, but direct use of
pkg_add is discouraged.
program was designed by
current code was written by Marc Espie