set and print environment
env executes utility
after modifying the environment as specified on the command line. The option
name=value specifies an
environment variable, name, with a value of
The options are as follows:
envto completely ignore the environment it inherits.
If no utility is specified,
env prints out the names and values of the variables
in the environment, with one
name=value pair per line.
env doesn't handle commands with equal
(‘=’) signs in their names, for obvious reasons.
env utility exits with one of the
envcompleted successfully and, if utility was specified, it was invoked and completed successfully too.
- An invalid command line option was passed to
envand utility was not invoked, or utility was invoked but failed with exit status 1.
- 2–125, 128–255
- utility was invoked but failed with this exit status; see its manual page for more information.
- utility was found but could not be invoked, or it was invoked but failed with exit status 126.
- utility could not be found, or it was invoked but failed with exit status 127.
env utility is compliant with the
IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (“POSIX.1”)
- option has been deprecated
but is still supported in this implementation.