install non-free firmware packages
path] [driver ...]
utility installs, updates, or deletes
firmware packages for driver
from the Internet. If no
is specified, the
utility tries to determine which firmware is
needed on the system.
Since firmware with an acceptable license is already present in
purely to deal with firmware that may not be freely distributed with
The options are as follows:
- Install or update firmware for all drivers. It is an error to specify this
option with any driver arguments.
- Delete firmware for driver. If used without
parameters, delete all firmware that is not required by a driver. If used
in conjunction with
-a, delete firmware for all
- Display information about firmware which is installed or missing, and
whether it appears to be required by a driver.
- Dry run. Do not actually install or update any firmware packages; just
report the steps that would be taken.
- Use the firmware found at path, being either a local
directory or a URL, instead of the default location.
- Turn on verbose output. This flag can be specified multiple times for
Firmware is downloaded from release-specific directories at
The files are in the format required by
pkg_add(1), but direct use
of pkg_add is discouraged.
program was designed by
current code was written by Marc Espie