remove nroff/troff, eqn, pic and tbl
deroff reads each file in sequence and
removes all roff command lines, backslash constructions, macro definitions,
eqn constructs (between “.EQ” and “.EN” lines or
between delimiters), pic pictures, and table descriptions and writes the
remainder to the standard output.
chains of included files (“.so” and “.nx”
commands); if a file has already been included, a “.so” is
ignored and a “.nx” terminates execution. If no input file is
deroff reads from the standard input.
The options are as follows:
- Ignore “.so” and “.nx” commands.
- Keep blocks of text intact. This is the default behavior unless the
-moption is given.
- Enable support for common macro packages. The
-moption takes the following arguments:
- recognize man(7) macros.
- recognize me macros.
- remove list constructs.
- recognize mm macros.
- recognize ms macros.
- Preserve paragraph macros. This option only has an effect if the
-moption is also specified.
- Output a word list, one ‘word’ (string of letters, digits, and apostrophes, beginning with a letter; apostrophes are removed) per line, and all other characters ignored. Normally, the output follows the original, with the deletions mentioned above.
deroff appeared in
Version 7 AT&T UNIX.
deroff is not a complete troff
interpreter, so it can be confused by subtle constructs. Most errors result
in too much rather than too little output.
-ml option does not correctly handle